One of the solutions Dr. Robert Baker may recommend if you have lost teeth is dentures. Our experienced dentist and team offer both complete and partial dentures, and will work closely with you to ensure that your prosthetic fits comfortably and will restore both your appearance and your oral health and function. To make an appointment and learn more about dentures and partials in Mesa, Arizona, contact our team at 480-461-9944.
What are dentures?
Dentures are removable dental appliances designed to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They serve as a practical and aesthetic solution for individuals who have lost their natural teeth due to aging, tooth decay, injury or other dental issues. Dentures are custom-made to fit comfortably in the mouth, and provide support for the cheeks and lips, enhance facial appearance and enable proper speech and chewing functions. They can be made from various materials like acrylic, metal or a combination of both. Dentures are a popular choice for those seeking an affordable and non-invasive option to restore their smile and regain confidence in their everyday activities.
Types of dentures
There are several types of dentures available, including:
- Complete Dentures: Used when all natural teeth are missing, complete dentures replace the entire set of upper or lower teeth. They are held in place by suction against the gums and may require adhesive for added stability.
- Partial Dentures: Partial dentures are utilized when some natural teeth remain. These dentures consist of replacement teeth attached to a metal or acrylic base, which is secured to existing teeth using clasps or precision attachments.
- Implant-Supported Dentures: These dentures are anchored to dental implants surgically placed in the jawbone, offering superior stability and comfort compared to traditional dentures. They are an excellent choice for patients seeking a more permanent solution.
During your initial consultation, our dentist will discuss your oral health, smile and treatment options with you to determine which type of denture is right for your needs.
Caring for dentures
Proper denture care is essential to maintain the functionality of your appliance and prolong its lifespan. We recommend that you:
- Remove and rinse dentures after meals to eliminate food particles and plaque.
- Brush dentures daily with a soft-bristle brush and non-abrasive denture cleanser to prevent stains and bacterial buildup.
- Soak dentures overnight in a denture solution or plain water to keep them moist and maintain their shape.
- Avoid using hot water as it can warp the denture structure.
- Handle dentures with care to prevent damage or breakage, and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaning agents.
- Regularly visit our dentist for routine checkups and adjustments to ensure the dentures fit properly and address any potential issues promptly.
By following these care guidelines, individuals can ensure their dentures remain comfortable, functional and aesthetically pleasing for a long time.
Schedule An Appointment
For more information about complete and partial dentures, or to schedule an appointment at Robert Baker Dentistry, call our office and speak with a member of our team.