Dr. Robert Baker offers tooth extractions to remove damaged teeth from your mouth and begin the process of helping you regain your smile. Our skilled dentist and team will extract your tooth as gently as possible and work closely with you to help you heal, recover and find the right type of replacement option for your smile. To schedule an appointment and learn more about tooth extractions in Mesa, Arizona, call us today at 480-461-9944.
What are tooth extractions?
Tooth extractions are the surgical removal of a tooth from its socket in the jawbone. They are typically recommended when a tooth is too badly damaged to be saved with a restorative treatment.
When are tooth extractions needed?
Tooth extractions are necessary in various situations, including:
- Severe Tooth Decay: When a tooth is extensively decayed or infected, and other dental treatments like root canal therapy cannot save it, extraction may be required to prevent further complications.
- Overcrowding: In preparation for orthodontic treatment, such as braces, tooth extractions may be necessary to create enough space for the teeth to align properly.
- Fractured or Cracked Teeth: Teeth that have suffered significant trauma or have extensive cracks may need to be extracted if they cannot be effectively repaired.
- Periodontal Disease: Advanced gum disease can cause teeth to loosen and compromise the surrounding bone structure. In some cases, extraction is the only viable option to protect the remaining teeth.
What happens after a tooth extraction?
After a tooth extraction, it is crucial to follow proper aftercare instructions to promote healing and minimize complications. Here are a few things to help you recover following your procedure:
- Avoid rinsing, spitting or using straws for at least 24 hours, as this may disturb the blood clot at the extraction site and cause you to begin bleeding again.
- Discomfort and mild pain are normal. You may use over-the-counter pain medication or prescribed medications as directed to alleviate your discomfort. An ice or cold pack is also recommended.
- Maintain good oral hygiene, but avoid brushing the extraction site for the first day or as directed by our dentist.
- Make and keep all follow-up appointments so that our dentist and team can monitor your healing progress.
Please speak with our dentist and team if you have any questions about your post-op care.
Replacing missing teeth
After losing a tooth it is crucial that you replace it as soon as possible. Replacing missing teeth is vital to restore oral function, aesthetics and prevent further dental issues. Several options are available:
- Dental Implants: Implants are durable, natural-looking replacements that function like real teeth. They are surgically inserted into the jawbone, providing a long-term solution.
- Dental Bridges: Dental bridges are prosthetics that fill the gap between missing teeth. They are anchored to adjacent teeth, offering stability and restoring chewing function.
- Dentures: Partial or complete dentures are removable appliances designed to replace multiple missing teeth or a full arch of teeth.
Each replacement option has its advantages and is chosen based on the patient’s specific needs, budge, and oral health. Our dentist will work with you to provide personalized recommendations and guidance on the most suitable choice for your needs.
Schedule An Appointment
We invite you to call Robert Baker Dentistry today if you have any questions about tooth extractions or to schedule your appointment with our experienced dentist.