Dr. Robert Baker provides dental cleanings and exams to help keep your mouth and smile healthy. This routine preventive care is vital to maintaining your oral health, and plays a key role in preventive dental problems as well as ensuring that you receive prompt care for any issues which do develop. To set up an appointment with our dentist and learn more about dental cleanings and exams in Mesa, Arizona, call our team today at 480-461-9944.
Why are dental cleanings and exams important?
- Preventive Powerhouse: Dental cleanings and exams are crucial for preventing oral health issues. Regular cleanings remove plaque and tartar buildup, reducing the risk of cavities, gum disease and other dental problems.
- Early Detection: These routine visits enable our dentist to spot potential issues in their early stages. Identifying problems early means they can be treated more effectively, preventing them from escalating into more severe conditions.
- Oral Health Optimization: Dental cleanings reach areas that regular brushing and flossing might miss. This comprehensive cleaning promotes overall oral health, maintaining a bright smile and fresh breath.
- Systemic Health Benefits: There is increasing evidence linking oral health to overall health. Regular dental cleanings and exams may contribute to reducing the risk of certain systemic conditions like cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.
How often should I visit the dentist for a cleaning and exam?
Generally speaking, you should visit the dentist every six months for a routine dental cleaning and exam. This frequency ensures optimal preventive care and early detection.
Our dentist may suggest more frequent visits (every three to four months) if you have a history of gum disease, frequent cavities or other oral health concerns.
What happens during a dental cleaning?
Your dental cleaning includes:
- Plaque and Tartar Removal: Our dentist or dental hygienist will use specialized tools to scrape away plaque and tartar from the teeth surfaces, including hard-to-reach areas.
- Tooth Polishing: After cleaning, the teeth are polished to remove surface stains and create a smoother texture that discourages plaque buildup.
- Flossing and Fluoride: Flossing helps clean between the teeth, and a fluoride treatment may be applied to strengthen the enamel and reduce sensitivity.
- Oral Health Assessment: During the cleaning, we will assess your oral health and inform you of any potential issues that require attention.
What happens during a dental exam?
Your dental exam includes:
- A Review of Your Medical History: Our dentist will discuss your medical history, any dental concerns and changes in your overall health since your last visit.
- Oral Examination: Our dentist will carefully examine your teeth, gums, tongue and other oral tissues for signs of decay, gum disease, oral cancer or any abnormalities.
- X-rays (if necessary): X-rays may be taken to get a more comprehensive view of your oral health, helping our dentist identify hidden issues like cavities between teeth or problems beneath the gumline.
- Treatment Plan: Based on the exam findings, we will create a personalized treatment plan if any issues need addressing. This may include recommendations for further procedures or lifestyle changes to improve your oral health.
- Patient Education: We will offer oral hygiene tips and answer any questions you may have about your dental health and recommended treatments.
Make An Appointment
Contact us today to schedule an appointment at Robert Baker Dentistry and learn how dental cleanings and exams can benefit you!