Are you missing teeth? Our experienced dentist may recommend dental implants to replace them and restore your oral health and smile. We welcome you to call Robert Baker Dentistry at 480-461-9944 to learn more about dental implants in Mesa, Arizona, and schedule your personal consultation.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is a small, titanium screw-like fixture that serves as an artificial tooth root. It is surgically placed into the jawbone to support a dental prosthesis, such as a crown, bridge or denture, providing a stable and permanent solution to replace missing teeth. Implants are considered the ideal option for replacing missing teeth, as they replace the entire tooth to promote better long-term oral health and function as well as give you back a beautiful smile.
Dental implant placement
The first step of your implant treatment is your dental implant placement. Dental implant placement is a precise and minimally invasive surgical procedure performed by our skilled dentist. During the procedure, the dental implant post is carefully inserted into the jawbone, where it integrates with the bone through a process called osseointegration. This process typically takes a few months, after which a dental prosthesis, or implant restoration, can be attached to the implant.
Dental implant restorations
Dental implant restorations refer to the replacement teeth that are attached to the dental implants. These restorations can be customized to match the patient’s natural teeth in color, shape and size, resulting in a seamless and aesthetically pleasing smile. Depending on the number of teeth that are missing, this prosthesis may be a single crown, a bridge or a complete or partial denture.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Benefits of implants include:
- Improved aesthetics: Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, enhancing the appearance of your smile.
- Enhanced function: They restore the ability to chew, speak and bite properly, improving overall oral functionality.
- Bone preservation: Implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing bone loss that often occurs with missing teeth and ensuring a stable foundation for your teeth and implants.
- Durability: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime, making them a long-term investment.
- Convenience: Unlike removable dentures, implants are fixed and don’t require special adhesives or removal for cleaning.
- Improved self-confidence: Dental implants can boost self-esteem by providing a stable and reliable tooth replacement solution.
Who is a candidate for implant dentistry?
Generally, anyone who has lost one or more teeth due to injury, decay or other dental issues can be a candidate for implant dentistry. However, certain factors must be considered, such as:
- Sufficient jawbone density: Adequate bone is required to support the dental implant.
- Healthy gums: Good oral health is essential for successful implantation.
- Overall health: Certain medical conditions may affect the suitability of dental implants, so a thorough medical evaluation is necessary.
If you have a preexisting oral health condition, such as gum disease or cavities, you will need to complete treatment for that condition before you can receive dental implants.
How long do implants last?
With proper care and regular dental check-ups, dental implants can last for several decades, and in many cases, a lifetime. However, individual factors like oral hygiene practices, lifestyle habits and overall health can influence the longevity of dental implants. Regular maintenance and professional cleanings are vital to ensure their durability and success over the long term.
Schedule A Consultation
We welcome you to call our team today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Robert Baker and learn if dental implants are right for you!